Wednesday 4th May 2016 PTFA Meeting
Present: I Taylor, R Greenacre, J Andrews, C Silva, H Yorke, S Heaton, J Cotter, and B Watters
Focus of today’s meeting was the school’s Summer Fayre on 24th June.
1. Bouncy castles – H Yorke had found a quoted price of £60 for both a castle and a ball pool, and J Andrews had found one for £40. It was agreed that H Yorke would look further into what castles were available and book one to go in the back playground (as it is the flattest area). Public liability should be covered.
2. Hog Roast – K Silva informed us that it needs at least 12 hours to cook beforehand, but that her contact would not be available on the day of the fayre. He could send a chef in his place, but there were concerns that we would have to pay for his time as well as for the meat. The current price is £160 for a hog large enough to feed 120 people. H Yorke suggested having a salad and pasta bar, and charging from £2-£2.50 for a plate. Other options included only having half the hog roast, but offering burgers and sausages – which would be preferable for smaller children. A reduced rate would be in place for vegetarians. As he ran the BBQ last year, it was agreed that we would ask D Schroeder to run the BBQ, and ask Karen to run the pasta/salad bar, and paying her for the extra time.
3. Sweet pots – these were a big success at last year’s fayre, but need a few adjustments. H Yorke suggested using clear pots so that the contents were clear. The Poundshop does similar sized pots to last year’s at 8 for £1. Other options were takeaway boxes, or plastic pint glasses. I Taylor and C Silva to look into.
4. Slushie Machine – H Yorke to check with Karen about costs to run it, as it was very popular last year!
5. In general, it was greed that there need to be more drinks available across the fayre, especially if it is hot.
6. Cream Tea Party – Leah has volunteered to run a cream tea party in the Foundation garden, with donations of baked goods/scones brought in on the day by volunteers.
7. A request will need to be put in the newsletter the week before about baking donations.
8. Craft Tables – J Andrews had looked into this, and found most table runners were happy to be charged £20 to set up a table, and that the PTFA’s public liability insurance should cover them. It was suggested that we advertise to parents who do crafts etc. and offer them a reduced rate. R Greenacre and S England to be contact points for interested parents.
9. Year 6 Stalls – B Watters suggested that the two classes be split between the two playgrounds to increase free flow of crowds.
10. Food stalls – not run in the middle playground, but in the back playground, as it is more hygienic and encourages more crowd movement.
11. Tombola – H Yorke enthusiastically offered to run the Tombola, with children to begin bringing in prizes over the next few weeks.
12. Raffle prizes – the TV is an option, though suggestions have been made that it goes to the new after-school club. R Greenacre to contact Plymouth Argyle for potential club merchandise/free tickets to use as raffle prizes.
13. Stamps – to encourage children and families to visit every stall, a passport-like system will be set up, with children collecting stamps from every stall they visit. Children with a full set will have their names into a hat to win a prize – separate from the raffle.
14. Clubs – it was suggested that the various school clubs could have opportunities to showcase what they have been doing. This led to the idea that there might be a programme of events, potentially with a map to guide new visitors to the school.
15. Mufti – On the day, children to pay £1 for wearing mufti to school. When they pay, they will get a raffle ticket. Each class to have personalised named tickets to ease process.
16. Banner and Balloons – I Taylor to talk to contact about getting one made for the Fayre at not too great a cost. H Yorke suggested a balloon stall, and will look into options for this.
17. Face painting/tattoos – it was suggested that the PTFA ask L Baines if she wants to run her face painting business, as she has public liability insurance.
18. Year 6 – will receive a float from the PTFA for their stalls, and will hopefully be given the opportunity to cash up at the end to get individual stall totals. A system will be in place when it comes to handling bank notes.
19. Hampers – each year will be asked to bring in a different set of items, which will be mixed into collective hampers as prizes in the raffle.
• EYFS – Toiletries
• Yr. 1 – Arts and Crafts
• Yr. 2 – Gardening
• Yr. 3 – Books
• Yr. 4 – Preserves
• Yr. 5 – Soft drinks
• Yr. 6 – chocolates
The hampers will be decorated fruit crates, and a school letter will be sent out detailing what each year will need to bring in as soon as possible.
20. Plant pots will need to go out 2 weeks before the Fayre.
21. Requests for cakes etc. will be made the day before/the day of the fayre to ensure freshness – make it clear that donations are more than appreciated, not a requirement.
22. J Andrews – a local PCSO is interested in running a table – she will look into further
23. C Silva to talk to her contact about the Fire service also running a table.
24. Every facility (bins, toilets, drinks etc.) needs to be clearly labelled, as this was an issue last year.
25. H Yorke suggested that Enrico’s mother could be approached about designing a programme/poster/information board for the different events of the Fayre.
26. B Watters suggested asking Notre Dame/St Boniface if they have any good links for prizes/table runners. They could also run a table themselves to increase school awareness. B Watters to contact them.
27. H Yorke suggested having large fancy dress suits to advertise the Fayre, but it was felt that there would be little profit to them.
28. Letters detailing what children need to bring for the hampers to be sent out by the next PTFA meeting, which will be Tuesday 24th May.